Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Florida Yard


My yard seems to be a perfect place to start with in regards to my favorite stationary and car birding locations.

It was two years ago Labor Day weekend that I moved to Florida, after spending most of my life in New Jersey. Talk about big changes - but New Jersey is expensive, I had been laid off from my job of 36 years, and my son had just taken a job in Jacksonville, so events conspired to move me down here. Luckily I was moving from a higher priced real estate area to a much lower one, but I was still nervous about what sort of home I could afford, and whether I'd find myself living in some sort of tacky shack or hovel somewhere. When I looked around with a realtor I was struck with all the retention ponds, and the houses on ponds, and thought how cool that would be - but figured that would be out of my price range.

  my pond, facing west, Fleming Island, FL

But I was lucky! I found a house in a neighborhood I loved that was on a pond! And at a great price.

 my pond, facing east, Fleming Island, FL

I've been here two years now and each day I love my home more and more. I was only in a week when I first put up bird feeders - though it took MONTHS before birds found them. But eventually they did. With money I got from the sale of my NJ house I had a sunroom built off the kitchen which now gives me great views of my feeders and pond. 

my sunroom (and grandson John), facing the pond, my yard, Fleming Island, FL

I start every morning out there with my coffee, and keeping lists of the birds that show up. It's my time for morning meditation and renewal.

And eBird.org statistics show me that in the past two years I've seen 81 different species of birds here, and that's just from sitting in the sunroom drinking my morning coffee! And I've had the thrill of seeing bluebirds and wood ducks nest in the yard, as well as numerous other babies - cardinals, Carolina wrens, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers.

I've had visits and flyovers from all sorts of cool birds also - pileated woodpeckers, swallow-tailed kites, bald eagles, blue grosbeaks, indigo and painted buntings, anhingas, cormorants, all sorts of herons and egrets and white ibises galore.

 two anhingas, my yard, Fleming Island, FL



two red-shouldered hawks, my yard, Fleming Island, FL



two hooded mergansers, my yard, Fleming Island, FL

 ruby-throated hummingbird, my yard, Fleming Island

 eastern bluebird, my yard, Fleming Island, FL


                                         pileated woodpecker on a rainy day, my yard, Fleming Island, FL 


I don't take any of it for granted. I count my blessings every day. Selling the house I had lived in for 30 years and taking a huge leap into the unknown was a major stressor for me - but it seems to be working out well. I love my home, I love my birds. I get to paint and sing and see my grandkids and work for conservation issues with Audubon...It's amazing the twists and turns your life can take.

dawn over the pond, my yard, Fleming Island, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment